Why I like hockey!

Hello readers,

El Fafa via Compfight

I’m really into to hockey, like REALLY into hockey. It’s my favorite thing to do! The reason I like it so much is because it’s one of the many things that relaxes me. I just find skating around and attacking/defending people is just calming and it’s really fun as well.

The position I play is defence, I really enjoy this position because you always have to be on the lookout for the puck. Never take your eyes off the puck! The reason for this is because you’re supposed to stop the players skating down on you, so always having your “eyes on the puck!”means you’re focused on the player that is trying to score and you’re waiting for that open opportunity to stop them. When I play defence I don’t just stand around waiting for the puck, when I get the puck I GO! I’ll be flying down that ice, that’s the relaxing part flying down that ice at top speed passing by players is really calming to me.

I play on a hockey team with Daniel. He’s a really good goalie! My two favorite teams are Chicago Blackhawks, and Toronto Maple Leafs. I’ve been playing hockey for eight years and in all those eight years I have learned to LOVE IT!

What’s your favorite sport and how long have you’ve been playing for?

~Jack

Save

17 thoughts on “Why I like hockey!

1. Andrea

Hi Jack,
    Go Toronto Maple Leafs! Yes I know what you like hockey! Well I do. I don’t watch a lot but i watch some.
    Hope your day is good.
    ~Andrea

Reply
  2. Thomas

Hi Jack. My name’s Thomas. I’m from Mrs Flannery’s class in Australia. I’ve joined the #16stubc and I was just looking for some blogs to read.
    I see that you are really into hockey, I used to as well, but where we are living in Western Australia, there is nowhere where I can can learn to play.
    I would love it if you visited my blog too:
    8tom.edublogs.org
    I mainly write about travelling from when my family went for an 18 month trip around the whole of Australia. (Including Tasmania)

Reply
  3. Ethen

Hi Jack, my name is Ethen and I’m part of #studbc in Mrs.Kriese’s class from Austin,Texas and I like hockey. I know a few postitions in hockey, but are you a goalie or a defensemen? In Texas we don’t have a lot of arenas or facilities to play hockey. I bet in Canada you have a lot of them. I noticed you’ve played hockey for 8 years, that’s a huge commitment, and you must LOVE the game! My favorite team in the NHL is the Florida Panthers. Come check out my blog http://edublogs.eanesisd.net/ethen8502022/

Reply
    1. Jack Post author

Hi Ethen,
      I play defense and we do have a lot of arenas here but its fun playing other teams in different arenas. I really do love hockey its super fun and I enjoy playing with my friends!
      ~Jack

Reply
  4. Ayden

Hi my name is Ayden I am from stratford my favorite sport is baseball.
    Visit me at:
    edublog.amdsb.ca/myblogayden341
    Visit my class at:
    edublog.amdsb.ca/mascolo

Reply
    1. Jack Post author

Hello Jacob,
      Hockey is a sport based around scoring like the whole point of the game is mostly just trying to score but their are rules to scoring and getting around to scoring. The most basic rule if penaltys there are many different kinds of penaltys like the majors and the minors. Lets start off with the minors this category is 2 minutes, by two minutes I mean your short handed one player. The penaltys are: Tripping, Hooking, Interference, Checking, and boarding. Boarding is when you charge up to someone on the boards like your going to hit them. Major penaltys are 4 minutes short handed the penaltys in this category are: Crosschecking, Hit from behind. The other rules are: Icing, and Offside. Icing is where you shoot the puck down the ice before you cross the red line in the middle of the ice. Offside is where you cross the opposing blue line before the puck enters it.
      That’s the best I can explain (Probably missed some)
      ~Jack

Reply
  5. Xan

Hi Jack I’m Xan from Mrs.Kriese’s class in Austin Texas. I am asana tee by hockey and how the players can keep their eyes on a puck the size of a small hamburger patty. I don’t know how you Canadians do it but it’s amazing. Also love your syrup. Anyway like almost all Americans we like football (glorified rugby but in America) I myself don’t worship the sport but I think it’s pretty cool. A few questions, is it always snowy 100% of the time? Also what kind of wildlife is up there here in Texas all we really have is deer and squirrels?

Reply
    1. Jack Post author

Hello Xan,
      Just so you know it doesn’t snow all the time it mostly depends on where you are in Canada, places like Nova Scotia, Newfoundland, and basically all the other eastern provinces from Ontario over. The type of wildlife here in British Columbia we have Cougars, Snakes, Eagles, Whales, and a lot of Deer! That’s the main ones.Not all maple syrup is made in Canada but some of it is. I think football is a very interesting sport but what confuses me is that their are more fights in hockey then football it’s just kind of weird.
      Anyway have a great day ~Jack

Reply
  6. Andrew

Hello, Jack. My name is Andrew. I am part of the student blogging challenge. I love hockey, especially the Swedish team. I sort of know how to play right wing, but I am not very good at it, (I live in Texas, it doesn’t get below freezing very often.) Could you maybe give me some tips?

Reply
    1. Jack Post author

Hello Andrew,
      I would love to give you some tips on hockey. First off right wing is easy to play once you get the technique pack down tight, what I suggest is when the puck is in your teams zone just kind of park your butt on the boards well also blocking the opposing defense. If your in the opposing zone make sure if the puck isn’t on your side of the ice try to screen the goalie (Make sure he can’t see the puck) and just kind of help out your team, that’s my best advice.
      Best of luck ~Jack

Reply
  7. Chantal

Hi Jack!
    I’ve never played hockey, but I played ringette for two years. I played defence too, and it always felt really calming to just go speeding down the ice like you described. “Eyes on the ring!” was something my coach always said to us.
    At the beginning, I couldn’t even skate, and then I slowly became better and less scared that I was going to fall on my butt, and now I don’t even think about it!
    My coach always called us “muffins”. Does your coach call you anything funny?
    Can’t wait for more posts! You’re a talented writer!

~Chantal <3

Reply
    1. Jack Post author

Hello Chantal,
      I’ve always been confused on how ringette is played, like the point system and boundres plus a bunch of other stuff. What I was called last year was “Muffin” as well because i didn’t take a very good shot but it was all in good fun! We all have to start skating somewhere.

~Jack

Reply
  8. Hudson

Hi Jack,
    I also really love hockey. I used to play defence so I can really relate. My coach told me to play forward and ever since I have loved it. My favourite hockey team is the new York rangers. I like tem because Madison square garden was the first arena I have went to. I have been to one of their games and I got a puck from Tanner Glass.
    -Hudson

Reply
    1. Jack Post author

Hey Hudson,
      Thats really cool that Tanner Glass gave you a hockey puck, did he sign it in anyway and did you go down to New York for a vacation? What year did you start playing forward?
      ~Jack

Reply
  9. Carson

Hi Jack
    As you know I love hockey too, we were on the blue bombers and our team was the best because we were so stacked. What is your favorite team?
    ~Carson

Reply
    1. Jack Post author

Hey Carson,
      I remember blue bombers it was a really good start team for me, ah it was amazing and stacked. My favorite that I’ve been on would have to be Last year and this year I think my team this year is pretty stacked but I like it because I know a lot of people this year!
      ~Jack

Reply